Newquay Fruit Sales Limited has adopted a pro-active position with regard to the environment and ethical trading in its commercial and purchasing decisions. The Company accepts its environmental responsibilities and recognises its obligation to reduce the impact of business activities on the environment.
Newquay Fruit Sales Limited has a buy local policy.
The company has the following practices:
• We will comply with the requirements of environmental legislation and approved codes of practice
• We will assess the environmental impact of all historic, current and likely future operations
• We will continuously seek to improve environmental performance
• We will reduce pollution, emissions and waste
• We will expect similar environmental standards from suppliers and contractor
• We will only use industry standard safe gases in our refrigeration units
• We will minimise waste and recycle wherever possible
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
Newquay Fruit Sales is committed to reducing packaging wherever possible using only what we consider necessary to protect and preserve your fresh produce.
The majority of our orders are dispatched in reused cardboard outers which we have received from our suppliers. Our Delivery Drivers will collect your empty boxes when they next deliver.
Newquay Fruit Sales may also deliver your order in plastic trays which are unpacked at the point of delivery and returned to Newquay Fruit Sales for reuse.
Where packaging is unavoidable Newquay Fruit Sales the use of LDPE bags is inevitable. Whilst we would like to switch to a bio-degradable alternative at the current time this is cost prohibitive.
Clear plastic punnets e.g. cherry tomatoes; and paper punnets e.g. redcurrants are both recyclable.
• We do not use aerosol sprays on site
• We will monitor our vehicle routes to reduce the use of fuel and other pollutants
Our procurement team work with local suppliers and producers to maximise backloading on return journeys.
Newquay Fruit Sales Local, our home delivery service, offers an alternative to customers travelling in multiple vehicles to supermarkets. Deliveries are made, wherever practicable, in our zero-emission electric van with consolidated loads to minimise environmental impact.
• We will consider increasing our zero emission vehicles, both commercial and cars, where charge range is proven to be adequate
• We will make every effort to reduce food miles by buying local or UK produced products; however, an increasing number of fresh produce essentials such as bananas and citrus fruits aren’t grown within the UK; and crops such as tomatoes and apples have seasonal limitations. As a result, the importation of fresh produce cannot be avoided.
• We will raise awareness, encourage participation and train employees in environmental matters